12 Tips for Avoiding Common Storage Mistakes
Here at AAA Stow-A-Way Storage, we field a lot of questions about the do’s and don’ts of storing your valuables. If you can think of it, we’ve probably been asked it!
Today, we wanted to focus on some of the common storage mistakes we see in hopes of improving your experience and helping you store your belongings like a pro right off the bat! That way, when you open your unit and see your stuff again, it’s exactly as you remember it.
- If you’re storing a vacuum that uses bags, be sure to remove it before storing it. Removing potential sources of dust and dander will help keep your unit clean.
- If you’re storing a large amount of clothes, considering purchasing a wardrobe or clothes box to retain their shape and be able to keep them hung for easy access.
- Dismantle furniture, like tables, to help save space. But, use furniture with space inside to your advantage. Storing smaller items in desks and cabinets will help maximize space.
- If you’re storing leather items, consider treating it with leather conditioner beforehand.
- Keep loose tools together by tying them together. If possible, keep them in toolboxes.
- If you’re storing an item with a gas tank, like a lawnmower or weed eater, empty out the gasoline before storing it for safety. You will be asked to do this.
- Protect mirrors and pictures by wrapping them with protective layers and marking them as fragile. If you don’t have protective wrapping, we offer plenty of supplies for your storage needs.
- Consider using pallets for items being stored on the ground that sensitive to temperature changes. Floors will get cold quickly, and warp wood and other items sensitive to temperature changes.
- Electronics should be stored in their original boxes. If you no longer have those boxes, approximate with another box and use packing material to secure it inside. We’ve got all the supplies you’ll need if you’re missing anything!
- Label everything clearly! It will make it so much easier to find something if you have to look for it.
- Pack books flat to avoid damaging the spine.
- Large appliances need care before storing—defrost fridges and freezers thoroughly beforehand to avoid water damage. Tie doors shut during moving but leave them slightly open during storage to prevent condensation and odor.
Those are just a few of the common storage mistakes we see around here. Do you have a question that’s not answered on this list? No problem, just find us on Facebook and let us know! We’ll be happy to answer any storage questions you may have! Get the AAA experience you deserve!